Outreach Education and Testing Coordinator
Job Title: Outreach Education and Testing Coordinator
Department: Outreach Services
FTE: 1.0 (40 hours per week)
Reports to: Director of Education and Testing
FLSA Status: Exempt
Scope of Work:
The Outreach Education and Testing Coordinator will work with staff and management of the Positive Resource Connection (PRC) in providing high-quality, coordinated, strength-based services consistent with PRC’s mission and strategic focus. The position will be part of the Outreach Services Department and the incumbent will conduct HIV and Hepatitis C (HCV) testing and harm reduction counseling, in accordance with the Indiana Department of Health’s (IDOH) HIV testing guidelines, targeting populations heavily impacted by new HIV and/or HCV and identify persons who are aware of their HIV positive status and not in care and/or treatment and engage them back into care including Non-Medical Case Management.
Responsibilities of the Outreach Education and Testing Coordinator’s position includes, conducting rapid and/or venipuncture HIV testing targeting high risk individuals; performing confirmatory testing on all reactive HIV rapid tests and linking all confirmed HIV positive individuals into Non-Medical Case Management services of PRC; providing individualized counseling to gauge risk prior to testing; identifying individuals who are HIV positive and not in treatment and engage them into care including linking them to Non-Medical Case Management; conducting other testing including HCV testing targeting populations at increased risk for infection; networking and collaborating with area agencies and organizations for testing and/or prevention educations; and providing referrals to internal and external community resources for continuum of care for HIV negative and HIV positive individuals. The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring all program requirements are met as determined by the Positive Resource Connection and the Indiana Department of Health.
The incumbent will be required to travel throughout twelve counties in northeast Indiana (Region 3); work evenings and some weekends; have a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and dependable transportation; and successfully complete the Indiana Department of Health’s HIV Prevention Counseling training course, HIV/STD Basic Training (HIV 101), Viral Hepatitis training, cultural competency training, Universal Precautions, and other trainings deemed necessary by the Positive Resource Connection and the Indiana Department of Health.
Job Responsibilities HIV and Hepatitis C Testing:
- Identify community organizations/agencies serving the target population for HIV and HCV testing.
- Perform rapid or venipuncture HIV testing, after gauging risk, and complete all required pre-test counseling forms. Work with individuals on behavior modification when feasible.
- Deliver HIV tests results for all rapid and venipuncture tests. Follow IDOH and PRC’s HIV Testing Policies and Procedures regarding HIV test results.
- Conduct a rapid HIV confirmatory test or venipuncture test (lab generated) on all initial reactive tests. Provide individualized counseling to ensure persons who received a venipuncture test return for post-test counseling session for their test result.
- Submit all HIV tests in Aphirm when utilizing IDOH tests and submit venipuncture test information on Limsnet. Retrieve venipuncture lab results from Limsnet.
- Complete required paperwork on all confirmatory HIV positive tests including Partner Notification forms, Duty to Warn, Release of Information, and IDOH Case Report (Short Form). Submit these forms to appropriate agencies as outlined in IDOH and PRC’s HIV Testing Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Perform post-test counseling in all confirmed HIV positive individuals and link them into Non-Medical Case Management services at time of their confirmatory result. Refer all HIV positive individuals to a care coordinator following the confirmatory test result. Ensure all positive individuals complete “Release of Information Form” and “Contact Form” so a case manager may contact them to enroll in-services.
- Refer high risk negative individuals to PRC’s PrEP Navigation Services for PrEP or PEP. Refer individuals for STD testing at PRC or the Fort Wayne-Allen County Health Department when needed. Refer individuals to other community resources including the Syringe Services program. Follow-up on all referrals to ensure continuum of care.
- Conduct rapid HCV testing targeting high risk populations. Refer all reactive HCV test for follow-up confirmatory testing to primary care physician or Parkview Infectious Disease Doctors; refer insured individuals to the Viral Hepatitis Case Manager. Refer all uninsured individuals to Aspin for health insurance navigation.
- Collaborate and work closely with the PRC’s Non-Medical Case Management services, Fort Wayne-Allen County Health Department, various medical providers, and other health and social service agencies to identify individuals who HIV positive and who are not in care. Link people who are not in care and/or treatment into PRC’s Non-Medical Case Management services.
- Conduct follow-up with case management to ensure HIV positive clients, identified through this program, are engaged in care and treatment for viral load suppression.
- Meet program objectives and outcomes as outlined in the grant contract between the PRC and the Indiana Department of Health.
Other Job Responsibilities:
- Provide HIV testing referrals targeting populations heavily impacted by new HIV infection in Region 3. Network with area organizations in Region 3 to refer high risk individuals for HIV testing at PRC.
- Attend and/or coordinate various agency testing events as required by the Executive Director, board of directors, and/or the Director of Education and Testing.
- Attend local and state trainings relevant to essential job requirements as determined by the Positive Resource Connection and the Indiana State Department of Health.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Education and Testing and/or Executive Director.
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Charity Storey, Director of Education and Testing
Email: [email protected]